Morocco in November 2016. Marrakech-Safi-Essaouira

Sharing our experiences of traveling to extraordinary, colorful, and memorable places in Africa
  • Author
Администратор

Morocco in November 2016. Marrakech-Safi-Essaouira

Post by Traveler »

From Imlil we took a taxi late in the evening for 400 dirhams, and in an hour and a half we returned to Marrakesh. The taxi driver drove us to Jama al Fna, which I do not like in the evening, but still had to intercept the entire square. We all returned to our very rare "Riad al Wiam". Along the way, we bought pieces of fresh fruit: pomegranates, apples, grapes and tangerines. Plus croissants and cakes, which are no worse in Marrakesh than in Paris. We ordered mint tea in our riad. And so we ate a little. After a heavy morning ascent, and intense breathing, you do not need to eat down, but rest in a horizontal position. Which we soon realized in a warm, cozy and quiet room in the riad.
In the morning they began to think where to move on - towards the ocean, or to Ouarzazate. We decided that it would still be a shame not to see the Atlantic Ocean, since we are within sight of it. I also want events in some new city. After going through the reviews, we decided to go to Safi. Travelers in their reports admire the ancient city on the Atlantic coast. So I want to see it with my own eyes. Buses of normal companies do not go there from Marrakech, unfortunately. This is not a very popular city in the tourist environment. Because the passenger traffic is small, it is collected only from local residents.
train to Safi
train to Safi
There are two train trips per day: Marrakech - transfer to another train at the Ben Gurier - Safi station. We took a flight around 11:00. Safi is 150 km. from Marrakesh. But by train we dragged ourselves there almost all day. Transfer to Ben Gurier went smoothly, and immediately moved to another. First ask where he is going. We stood in Ben Gurrier for about 20 minutes. And after the Yusufiya station, at some small half-station, we stuck around for about an hour. I don't know why, mysterious east...
Our fellow travelers, representatives of the local grandparents of a rather respectable age, who took places on a table across the aisle from us, ate yoghurts with buns and tangerines with appetite. We didn't have food supplies. And we looked at the chewing fellow travelers with a little envy :-). We thought that we would come for dinner, and did not take any food with us. Arrival then at 17.00 at the station, until we reached our guest, until we found an acceptable cafe ...
The ride was interesting, informative, and interesting, looking out the window at the North African landscapes sweeping past, generously irrigated by rain, but too slowly and hungry :-).
Along the way, there are a lot of stones on the cultivated land, in the fields, and the quality of the soil is not offered by black soil, but this does not prevent Moroccan farmers from growing anything they want there: citrus fruits, mint (it is used in large quantities for tea production), potatoes , tomatoes and peppers, olives, cacti, crops, flowers.
Safi - first impression
Safi - first impression
20161122_165945.jpg
The day we took the train and the next day in Safi were both rainy and windy. But we had warm clothes, and we could walk as much as we wanted. Yet Safi is completely different from my beloved Essaouira.
20161122_170639.jpg
terrace of our hotel in Safi
terrace of our hotel in Safi
terrace
terrace
cuddling with Toby, the wonderful dog of the owners of the riad
cuddling with Toby, the wonderful dog of the owners of the riad
Yes, Safi was worth visiting and seeing. Since its architecture is ancient, the city is not particularly touristy, and therefore very colorful. But on the other hand, it was difficult to find an acceptable tavern in which it was not disgusting to eat. All the catering establishments that we liked from the outside turned out to be nice coffee houses inside. Or there are flies inside, greasy oilcloths, and the absence of visitors. We found a more or less decent cafe outside the medina. It was filled with decent-looking local people. We took harira soup, local bread and tea. Everything turned out to be quite edible and satisfying.
Safi bus station
Safi bus station
Petite taxi in the city costs 10 dirhams. On one of these taxis in the morning we went to the bus station. There, barkers in their buses make a terrible noise and scream. We bought tickets at the box office for the bass of a civilized company that did not need medieval methods of attracting passengers.
On the bus company "STM" we went to one of my favorite places in Morocco and the world - Essaouira. We drove in the rain on huge roads. From Imlil we took a taxi late in the evening for 400 dirhams, and in an hour and a half we returned to Marrakech. The taxi driver drove us to Jama al Fna, which I do not like in the evening, but still had to cross the entire square. We all returned to the same our favorite "Riad al Wiam". On the way we bought the freshest local fruits: pomegranates, apples, grapes and tangerines. Plus croissants and cakes, which are no worse in Marrakesh than in Paris. We ordered mint tea in our riad. And so we ate a little. After a hard morning ascent and a long descent down, I wanted not to eat, but to rest in a horizontal position. Which we soon did in the warm, cozy and quiet room of the riad.
In the morning they began to think where to move on - towards the ocean, or to Ouarzazate. We decided that it would still be a shame not to see the Atlantic Ocean, since we are in the immediate vicinity of it. I also wanted to explore some new city. After going through the reviews, we decided to go to Safi. Travelers in their reports admire this ancient city on the Atlantic coast. So I wanted to see it with my own eyes. Buses of normal companies do not go there from Marrakech, unfortunately. This is not a very popular city in the tourist environment. Therefore, the passenger flow is small, consisting only of local residents.
Attachments
Cats are the native Essuairs
Cats are the native Essuairs
seagulls are used to being fed bread here, they are almost not afraid of people
seagulls are used to being fed bread here, they are almost not afraid of people
20161123_170802.jpg
narrow streets of the medina
narrow streets of the medina
20161123_160413.jpg
went to the promenade along the evening beach
went to the promenade along the evening beach
the city's flower plantations are flooded with rain